Saturday, December 09, 2006

Snails

So, I've been sitting here thinking about my mom... thinking about holidays and traditions.

It is one of those back in time moments, when I wish that as I am sitting here, writing (similiar to doing homework), my mom would knock on my office (bedroom then) door, and there she would be - holding a plate a freshly baked snails and a steaming cup of coffee.

I'd kill for a plate of snails right now. I truly can't remember when last I had that little treat, but I think that the Penpal was in on them at least once, so it has to have been in the past twenty five years. Easy to say, it has been awhile.

As FaithfulReaders are familiar, my mom liked to make up names for things (a trait I apparently inherited), such as calling French Style Green Beans - spinach. So, here is what snails really are:

You start with a pie crust dough stick (do they still make those?). You roll it out. You generously spread butter over the dough. You generously sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over that. You roll it up and cut it into inch long bite-sized squares, put 'em on a cookie sheet and throw 'em in the oven for a couple of minutes. Ummmmm...warm, flaky cinnamonysugary goodness.

I just know my mom would be cracking up inside whenever she would ask if I wanted snails in front of a new guest and I would get very enthusiastic. What kid loves snails that much? The same kid that just LOVED spinach. Until she was actually served real spinach one day...

No comments: