Monday, August 23, 2004

Sean's Cultural Tour of Ohio - Day 2

Early to rise...and Sean's first visit to the ubiquitous Bob Evan's, a midwest staple of breakfasting. Something on the cover of the USA Today in the paper box outside the entrance to Bob's caught my eye...Edvard Munch's The Scream had been stolen! Luckily I had a couple of quarters on me, and we read about the brazen theft while waiting for our meal. It seemed odd that our week of art indulgence should start off with the disappearance of such an icon!

After the traditional breakfast fare of biscuits, eggs, bacon and hash browns and coffee, we were off to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Annie Leibovitz's American Music photographs were on display, and I was completely surprised at the dimensions of the photographs. All of them were exquisite, but to see the actual photographs, as compared to seeing the pictures in her book, was a moving experience. Annie had recorded commentary about each photo that you could listen to as well, and I found that very interesting. It was a marvelous show.

The Rock Hall is really an amazing place...Sean was determined to see every film and exhibit in the place, and I can say with certainty that the Rock Hall was her favorite stop on her visit.

On the top floor, Mary Wilson of the Supremes had a showing of the Supreme's gowns. Reading about this did not excite me very much, as I am not terribly interested in couture. However, there really was something fascinating about seeing the volume of gowns, and realizing what it must have been like to be burdened by them while traveling and performing. It also, was a very interesting display.

I preferred the areas of stage costumes on display to the cases of ephemera and memorabilia that lined the walls of the museum. While this material made for a compelling historical chronology, there really wasn't enough explanation of the individual items for my taste.

As for the costumes, Sean was most impressed, I think, with the three David Bowie costumes. For me, it was seeing Madonna's Gautier "Victorian" dress with monocle that she performed Vogue in. The reason for this was that Madonna's costume looked like high couture - it looked elegant and expensive and impressive. All of the other performers outfits were interesting to see "in real life", but for the most part, they were just clothes. Gautier's work for Madonna is art.

I had expected that the Rock Hall would take a couple of hours, and in fact, there was so much of interest, so much to see and do that we weren't really done and the museum closed!
Sean was quite upset because we missed one of the many films that were playing.

The only other disappointing element to the Rock Hall was the gift shop. We were both hoping for some Leibovitz souveniers, but to no avail.

And, just for the record...how can they call it a Rock Hall of Fame when there was NO MENTION OF LAURA NYRO???? I just may become an activist over this oversight...

So, having been kicked out of the Rock Hall, we walked for a few blocks so I could see the Claus Oldenburg FREE STAMP sculpture, which I thought was very cool, but seemed to underwhelm Sean a bit. It seemed to me that the only way to bring her around was to feed her, and I realized we were very close to the Flats, so I suggested we drive down there.

That evening there was some strange convention of motorcyclists in the parking lot of the Powerhouse, so we parked and walked down the boardwalk to Shooter's. We got a nice table outside, sitting on the dock, and watched the jet skiers and yachters coming and going as the sun set...eating our Caesar Burgers (hamburgers with Caesar dressing, a specialty of the house) which were fabulous.

No comments: