Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My Birthday Is Just Around The Corner

If any Faithful Readers are pressed for ideas for a birthday present for the CaptainStL, the nice folks at Christie’s are holding on auction the day prior, enabling last minute gift purchases.
I wouldn’t mind waiting an extra day or so if overnight shipping is too expensive.

But I have just the right spot in mind for the portrait of café proprietress Madame Ginoux by a relatively unknown artist named Vincent Van Gogh. It was finished in February of 1890, so it is rather dated, but you know, I am fond of it because she has books on the table (Charles Dickens' Christmas Stories and Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin).

Early bidders should be able to snatch it up for somewhere between 40 and 60 million, although the last Van Gogh portrait up for acution, Portrait of Dr. Gachet, sold for $82.5 million in 1990.

I love you guys. I hope ScubaSteve is free to help me hang it up when it arrives...

No comments: