Sunday, October 31, 2004

Halloween Costumes

Quite a bit of fun to be had in the workplace when you get to dress up for a change. And although working with the general public, in retail and being on your feet all day do not necessarily lend themselves to great costumes with detailed make-up, and also demands that the more gory options of the season are neglected, my co-workers and I who had to work today were able to enjoy a bit of the holiday.

Today I worked with an amazing Carmen Miranda, whose mother actually designed and sewed the costume, which would have been totally believable on any stage. It was extraordinary. And, as attention to details does count, there were even clusters of cherries garnishing the toes of the cream high heels. Cudos to you, Carmen Miranda!

Another co-worker came as, well, it really is hard to describe. A zaftig bathing beauty, complete with crown comes close. The defining element of the costume was the fellow's beard. Quite hilarious.

I think my favorite co-worker today was Medusa, with the white toga and a nest of snakes in her hair. Her finishing touch was the belt for her toga, also a lovely green snake. Great make-up, not too much, not too scary. It was outstanding.

A few of the night crew fellas came together as what I would deem a Tribute Band to Spinal Tap. Not quite impersonating Spinal Tap, but giving a essence of Spinal Tap.

A young lady graced us as Inga, a innocent German milkmaid, with a rather well-endowed bosom, which succumbed to the forces of gravity after a couple of hours at the register. This turned the costume somewhat tragic, and certainly more humorous, at least to me.

As for myself, I look forward to Halloween to break out my authentic, antique 1923 wool tuxedo with tails. Add a silk top hat, stringy hair, and sunglasses, a lovely and heavy bat medallion, a silk shirt, some white and light blue make-up, paint the nails black, and hey, I'm a Gothic English vampire. I was thinking that the German milkmaid was probably related to my family, lower Germany and Transylvania not being oh-so-distant.

The big surprise to me was, completely unbeknownst to me, another co-worker came as the Bride of Dracula. So that worked out very nice. Again, attention to detail counts...her long black and white streaked hair was swept up upon her head, and decorated with dead rose buds.
Velvet dress, lace up boots, and Gothic jewelry. It's all good, when you're undead.

Which is how my feet felt after 5 hours, when I had to change my costume back to my usual work garb.

All in all, it was a pretty festive day at the office.

No comments: