Tuesday, October 26, 2004

New Music Tuesday - Patricia Barber

Today’s CD review is the first CD released by one of my favorite performers of all time, Ms. Patricia Barber. The CD, Split, was first released in 1989. The title refers to her amazing abilities as both pianist and vocalist.

What is immediately shocking about this disc is the vocal range that Ms. Barber exhibits, which has most certainly not been in evidence of any of her subsequent recordings. Now I see that not only is she a magnificent pianist, an erudite songwriter, but she possesses some extraordinary, under-used chops. It was a wonderful surprise, and explains why she was the # 1 Female Jazz Vocal Talent Deserving Wider Recognition by DownBeat Magazine's International Critics Poll.

I listened to this disc on the way home from the record store, early in the morning on a grey, misty almost Pacific Northwest blissful day. The first track is a lovely evocative instrumental piece called, Early Autumn. The sychronicity of the moment was striking, and I can assure you that every time I listen to this track I will transported to this morning, driving my car…

Other stand-outs are the vocal tracks, Too Late Now (devastatingly beautiful), Then I’ll Be Tired Of You and Two For The Road.

Like one of my other all-time favorites, Ms. Holly Cole, Ms. Barber pays particular attention to detail. This record was made using re-constructed tube microphones from the 1950s.

It is a singular and wonderful aural treat. I guarantee it.

No comments: