Monday, September 12, 2005

Exercise in Absurdity

Ah, take a moment to digest this article I found by Rebecca Hagelin.

I am still trying to process how in the world her clever mind was able to come up with these masterful conceits :

a) Katrina = Titanic. I've gotten this far : Katrina - lots of water. Titanic - hit an iceberg, which is a lot of frozen water. Katrina - man-made levees burst. Titanic - Man-made vessel (both words have six letters, L, E, V,S -just in a different order!) burst at the seams.
Both: Incredibly, not enough vessels to save people, when there should have been ample resources to save everyone.

But - Rebecca tells the tale of glorious humanitarian heroism on the ship (The accounts of survivors remind us of a time when civility and honor were more important to many than survival itself) - neglecting the third class debacle, and the fact that most of the victims of the Titanic were third class folks. So maybe there should have been more stories of "first-class" rich folks setting sail on the highways in their SUV's and watching New Orleans sink behind them from afar... And did I miss something? That was Sean Penn not Leonardo in New Orleans. Ah, where's the love story angle, people? But I will grant that the captain going down with the ship is a much missed image from Katrina...

and b) It's all the fault of RAP MUSIC! You owe it too yourself to read her tirade on gangsta rap, and why our "cultural embrace" of it has lead to the fall of civilization that is New Orleans.

Now with my limited knowledge of the history of rap (from M-16 and Kadobi), I know there is the great New York-Los Angeles feud. I don't know anything about New Orleans being the big southern center of rap. Seems to me it was all about the jazz, man.

No comments: