Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Another Curious Coincidence

I went to see a matinee of The Forgotten, starring Julianne Moore and Gary Sinise and Alfre Woodward at my favorite matinee theatre in Hudson. As usual, I had a private screening. I hope they get a lot of business in the evenings, because I like going there in the afternoons, and I am quite frequently the only patron in the place.

Anyway, I liked this movie. After seeing it, I came home and read a lot of reviews. Most of them were of the negative variety. And while I agree that the film doesn't really answer the questions it raises (such as why these things are happening) I find that life itself rarely gives answers either. I thought the concept and the acting were quite good, and perhaps this is more of a foreign film - Americans like their films all wrapped up nice and tight...we don't seem to like having to think or really discuss art.

And I did like the ending...I guess I am a sucker for determination winning out in the end. I liked seeing a happy ending. God, does that make me an optimist?

Oh, about the coincidence...when I woke up this morning, I found that great Virginia Woolf quote...then I went to the movie, which I wasn't planning on, and Julianne Moore was in The Hours, which was about (more or less) Virginia Woolf...It isn't like Virginia Woolf crosses my path every day...

No comments: