Tuesday, September 28, 2004

New Music Tuesday

Well, I had every intention of getting QUEEN LATIFAH's new CD, The Dana Owens Album, when it was released today.

From the opening notes of Track 1, I can assure you all that this is the must-have CD of 2004. While only having time to give it a rather rudimentary perusal, this CD is destined to be one of my favorites of all time. If you are familiar with her tracks from the soundtrack to Living Out Loud, and, like me, yearned for more tunes ala Going Out Of My Head , Be Anything and Lush Life, the wait is over.

The CD is mostly soul, R&B and jazz covers, with a few ballads, and a great cover of California Dreamin' with nice guitar work. Go get this CD.

While I was picking up the Queen, I saw that JOSS STONE's new CD, Mind, Body & Soul also came out today, and it was on sale for $9.98.

Again, only time for a cursory listen, but it is also a highly recommended listen. Her first CD (EP really), Soul Sessions blew me away. I really am amazed by her voice - but I must admit to being a bit freaked out by the fact that not only is she a mere child of 16, but she is also British. To consider these facts while listening to her sing makes my head hurt. It is improbable at best. To me, I hear a soulful refined Joplinesque quality in her singing - a lot of living and feeling - and then I remind myself that she is a blond, 16 year old Brit. Amazing.

No comments: