Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Restaurant Review - SERGIO's

I had a lovely lunch on this chilly and rainy, kinda Pacific Northwest day with my pal, Heather, at Sergio's, my new favorite restaurant in University Circle.

It advertises that it specializes in South American (Argentinean) cuisine, yet I am still not entirely sure what that means. Last time I was here (two weeks ago exactly), we were able to sit outside on their lovely patio. I must point out that the charming facade of the restaurant as well as its name does indeed lead one to think that it is an Italian eatery. But those kinds of identity dichotomies intrigue me - I suppose because I can relate to them so well.

The other great thing about the location of Sergio's (besides being in walking distance of the Botanical Gardens, the Cleveland Art Museum and the Cleveland Cinematheque), is that the Frank Gehry-designed Peter B. Lewis building of Case Western Reserve is across the street, and that is one cool building. Just trying to figure out how they managed to get the walls and windows to curve kept me entertained for the walk back to my car.

Okay, back to the review. The ambiance, the setting, the staff (I had the same waitress who did remember me and what I had ordered two weeks ago, including the type of wine I had, which impressed me perhaps more than it should have) and the food are all outstanding, and the prices are certainly reasonable.

I can highly recommend the orecchiette pasta, which is served with caramelized onions, chicken and spinach in a lovely wine sauce. And whatever you do, you must have the French press pot of Brazilian coffee after your meal. For me, that has become the sole reason for going there. But I must say for the record that Heather is an excellent dining companion, and the conversation was stimulating - even if I am filled with envy that she is leaving tomorrow for a much-deserved trip to the Toronto Film Festival. I am making a cyber-note to go next year!

Sergio's 1903 Ford Drive Cleveland, OH 44106 216-231-1234 (nice number!)

No comments: