Tuesday, November 29, 2005

New Music Tuesday - I'm Hacked Off

I am just so very annoyed. I have loved the Eurythmics since the early 80's, loving them (well, loving Annie Lennox, let's be honest- especially in the phase she had when she performed in a red lace bra and black leather pants...but I digress) so much that I even learned how to spell their name, but not so much that I ever took the class in colllege.

Anyway, so I have all of their CDs - including their great TOURISTS hit, I Only Want To Be With You. And what do they do? They have gone and re-released all 8 of their CD's with glorious deluxe packaging, extensive liner notes, photos, blah blah blah AND...AND...BONUS TRACKS! Over 40 spread out on all 8 CDs, which are going for $18 a piece. Now, if you ask me, I would have happily paid $24 for a CD of JUST THE BONUS TRACKS!!! AAARGH. I hate them. Today. For the moment. Can I petition someone? Annie, are you reading this?

That being said, I had to pick up EURYTHMICS - Ultimate Collection. Why? The cover art is perfect. Yes, that is primarily why bought it. I am a marketers dream after all. Interior photos are wonderful as well, with the unfathomable inclusion of a NICE photo of Dave Stewart! Really! The typefaces and general design capture the era of the Eurythmics heyday perfectly. Ah, the days of genderbending, orange haired Annie...it'll take you back.

The bonus tracks, the sublime Was It Just Another Love Affair? and I've Got A Life are worth the price of the CD, but folks, there is scant information in the liner notes - in fact, all you get is the lyrics. It would have been a nice touch to include the YEAR OF RELEASE (especially for the new tracks - I mean, were they old tunes that are included now, or are they fresh new ones?)and from what album the track came from, just for simplicity. Is this too much to ask?

No comments: