Tuesday, November 08, 2005

New Music Tuesday - Sentimental

I was reading a magazine and saw an ad for this CD, and I had to get it from Amazon as a French import, but it was worth it.

The CD is Sentimental, by Tanita Tikaram. I've been a fan since the PenPal brought home Tanita's first LP, Ancient Heart, long ago in 1988.

Sentimental is a lovely, jazzy CD and Tanita's voice is maturing like oak casked single malt Scotch. Smooth, deep and dark.

I can't really point to a favorite track on the CD, with the exception of one mood killing misplaced track, the CD flows from track to track, making a very pleasant listen.

Sentimental is closest to a melange of Lovers In The City and Everybody's Angel, but much more focused.

"I wanted to get back to things I had forgotten, fundamental ideas about keeping things simple and interesting and looking at how the voice sits with other instruments. Ideas I felt I lost but which maybe I just knew naturally when I was seventeen."

I am so very glad to have new Tanita tunes!

No comments: