Thursday, November 17, 2005

ScubaSteve To The Rescue!

I have been in a frenzy lately, taking care of things I have been procrastinating, because Scout will be arriving in four short days!

Today's tasks involved driving up north to go to Crate and Barrel and to pick up a Cuisinart hand mixer, which I am told, is an essential element in making real whipped cream, mashed potatoes and possibly pumpkin pie. I really don't know. All I know is that getting a mixer has been on my list for about a year now, and THIS is the one I wanted, so Scout's arrival was a perfect excuse to get it.

Also, the C&B had a lovely piece I wished to use as a headboard. My problem would be in mounting it, because of its size. To that end, I enlisted the aid of my pal, ScubaSteve, to come down and help me hang things on my walls, which seem to be made of titanium and are nearly impossible to drive nails of any type into. Because of this sad fact, my lovely Picasso print has been sitting, wrapped in plastic like Laura Palmer, in my entrance hallway for many months.

So, I ask a salesman for the piece, and am informed that they only have the floor model, which is NOT for sale, but more will be in...in JANUARY. That is so not helpful. Why are they displaying a floor model that might inspire someone to make a design decision, and then NOT SELL IT? And it ain't like it was cheap, either. Oooh, they made me mad. FURTHERMORE, it holds 14 votives. How many votives are sold in a set? That's right, Clever Readers, 12! The same bozos who package the hot dogs in 12's and the buns in 8's thought this one up, too...

Anyway, back to the good part of the day...With a promise of a pre-work Starbuck's of his choice and a meal following, ScubaSteve met me at the shopping center and followed me back down the highway for 45 minutes. That, Faithful Readers, is true friendship. The hanging process didn't take too long, but I thought a nice meal at Bob Evan's sounded better than the pizza we were planning on, so we drove down to the restaurant and had a nice visit (but nothing to be jealous of, Kitty Griffing!)

All went well, and my house is practically perfectly in order. One of the remaining tasks is to choose the right bedding ensemble from my collection of five...it will either be the Classic Linen, which features the most beautiful Matteo duvet cover and Leitner accent pillows, -or- it will be the Neutral bed of Egyptian cotton, which I firmly believe are the best, softest and most luxurious on the planet.

Well, there are still four days to make the bed...decisions, decisions.

No comments: