Saturday, November 12, 2005

Thoughts On Furniture

I saw the perfect bedside table awhile ago, but it was a bit too pricey for me. Then it went on sale! Hooray! BUT, they didn’t have any in stock…won’t be seeing them until the end of December. Now your very own Captain StL is expecting a visitor for the holidays, and it would be very nice to have a bedside table. December arrival is just not going to work. But I took their silly raincheck, then decided to stop into the store by my work, and Viola! Yes, they had one new in a box and everything. (The Captain StL is very, very good at assembling furniture that comes in boxes, having loads of practice early in life with IKEA products.)

So I get my table home and assemble it. If you have had any experience with IKEA or even Crate and Barrel furniture assembly, you should fall onto your knees and thank them for their well-thought out construction. My table hails from Thailand, and they put the screws (requiring an Allen wrench- enclosed) into such tight locations that the wrench will only rotate a quarter of a turn at best before hitting the top or side or back of the piece. It takes about a half an hour to get one screw in. Thai’s must train monkeys to do this work…

Anyway, my lovely table came together after a bit of forcing and finagaling. Here is what the catalog has to say…

Handsome solid hardwood in a dark walnut finish with black rub-through contributing to a vintage Colonial character. Open shelf, one drawer and handy magazine rack on side.

Honestly, until today I had no idea what the purpose of the “magazine rack” was - I thought it was a cool design element. I am often not that bright.

Country of Origin: Thailand
Approx. Weight: 46.2 lbs


Yes, that’s right folks, I own a 46 pound table. That ain’t no plywood and veneer my friends!

No comments: