Tuesday, November 02, 2004

New Music Tuesday - Chris Isaak

Okay, I have to come clean. I have an illness - I have a huge collection of holiday music. One of my long-time passions was to make holiday mix tapes (which is now the mix CD) for my friends and acquaintances. To this end I have acquired over 200 holiday CD's. So today's new CD is one for the collection: Chris Isaak Christmas.

I've only listened to it twice, and although it has its moments, it is not the stellar find of the season that I was hoping for. I don't know what that will be, but you'll read it here first...

Anyway, I found Chris' voice to be a bit weak on this CD. I think that is my main problem with it.

So far the best track is an original (and that is amazing) Christmas on TV, on which Chris talks about being alone and watching old Christmas movies ...which made me remember one Christmas long ago spent with the love of my life, and watching "It's A Wonderful Life" together, wrapped up on the couch with a fire blazing. Moments like that can make you think that just maybe it IS a wonderful life.

And had I not gotten the Blind Boys of Alabama's Go Tell It On The Mountain last year, Chris' version of Last Day of Year , which the Boys give the definitive performance of, would be in the running for holiday track of 2004. As it is, he has to take a distant second to the Boys. Give them a listen, they are killer. And, by the way, The Blind Boys of Alabama won their third consecutive Grammy Award for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album with that release.

No comments: