Tuesday, November 09, 2004

New Music Tuesday - Swing Out Sister

Swing Out Sister has released a new album entitled, Where Our Love Grows. The overwhelming response I have to this CD is this – place the CD in the player...then imagine you are running off of a diving board on the most perfect summer afternoon...the first bar of the first track comes on...and you feel like you have plunged into a very deep and cool pool...surrounded and immersed in this swell of orchestral summer. This CD conjures so many images – the best of Bacharach, 60's movies, Austin Powers, Dionne Warwick...it is lush and dense. My favorite track is the opener, Love Won't Let You Down, but I am also fond of the instrumental offering Certain Shades Of Limelight .

Corrinne Drewery's voice, like an old and dear friend, is welcoming and warm and flawless as it always has been. Sometimes I think she could sing the phone book and I would listen…

My recommendation – take the plunge.

(p.s. - might I add that on 1997's Shapes & Patterns they cover Ms. Nyro's Stoned Soul Picnic.)

No comments: