Sunday, November 21, 2004

Opera and Diners

I spent the night at my friend Annie's house. There are few things to compare with the sensation of waking up to someone playing the piano and singing opera, very well and live, enhanced by the friendly morning glow of a crackling fire and a full coffee pot.

Annie's husband has been away for a long time, as he is performing in the Ring at the State Opera of South Australia. All of this talk about opera makes me just want to point out that:

No opera plot can be sensible, for in sensible situations, people do not sing.
W.H. Auden

Before heading off to work, we went to eat at the Park City Diner.
It is a very upscale diner, yet it still captures that lowdown diner feeling. I loved the mural on the wall of Ohio history, which we were seated across from. I had the full-on standard egg breakfast and ended with my own little miniature pumpkin pie. It was quite a feast, and while I don't think the food is exceptional by any means, it was a very pleasant and good experience. I would definitely go back.

8111 Rockside Road, Valley View 216-328-0575

No comments: