Friday, December 24, 2004

Extractions on Christmas Eve

Because of my schedule and time zones, it had been several weeks since I had spoken with The Traveler in Portland. We were text messaging and voice mailing to be sure, but we were never able to connect.

So it was a great pleasure to sit down for a few moments and visit with her. After taking up some time updating her about myself, I asked what she had been up to.

"Oh, I just got out of the hospital."

"Excuse me?" (Yes, this part, getting to the essential information, is like pulling teeth.)

"Oh, I had an ovary removed."

Pregnant, Pinter-esque pause from me...

"Did you think I wouldn't want to know about this?" I asked.

"It's no big deal. I'm fine. It's just like getting a tooth pulled."

Ok, Faithful Readers. I would like to take a poll of those that think that pulling a tooth and having an ovary removed are the same thing, because to me, they are completely different procedures. In fact, two different types of medical professionals perform them. This leads me to believe that they are perhaps different types of events.

What do you think?

1 comment:

jasoneats said...

the one word answer? how about "yes"? with a subtle, almost undetectable, ironic twist of the mouth, perhaps tinged with disappointment, hurt and a hint of, dare i say, derision?