Tuesday, December 21, 2004

New Music Tuesday - Maria Muldaur

I am becoming dangerously close to completing one of my many tasks - this one being a CD of all of the songs I had purchased in my youth on 45's. This took some discipline, because there were a few songs that I did have on 45 (stolen from my Uncle Greg - the Turtles "Happy Together" in particular) that I did not purchase, and so I could not in good conscience include them. Then there were other songs that I liked so much I bought the album which was a grand expenditure for a child on a limited allowance. So album purchases had to be disqualified, too.

As I neared completion, I realized that I still did not have a copy of "Midnight At the Oasis" by Maria Muldaur. I set out determined to bring home this single song, and lo and behold, there was 30 Years of Maria Muldaur: I’m a Woman, and I was feeling flush I suppose, and spent the $18 bucks...

Well, let me tell you...I still dig "Midnight" for sure...but this gal is a great old-timey blues singer. She does all sorts of music...but "Midnight" is a complete aberration in her oeuvre. I am especially taken with "It Feels Like Rain."

I am very happy to have acquired this CD as it will fit in nicely as the distaff representative when I get in the mood to listen to nothing but Guy Davis, Eric Bibb, and Keb'Mo'. A great lazy, summer disc.

No comments: