Tuesday, December 14, 2004

New Music Tuesday - Replacing Vinyl

I picked up two CD's today that I have been negligent in upgrading from vinyl. The first is A Classy Pair, an aptly titled effort from Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie. It is a wonderful CD, but the stand-out track is definitely Just A Sittin' and A Rockin'. I am so pleased to be able to listen to this song again! Basie has always exemplified swing for me; I think he had the greatest of the big bands for my money. And Ella is in great form throughout the disc; her scatting on Honeysuckle Rose is exemplary for any would-be vocalists.

The second treasure of the day is Getting Sentimental by the great saxophonist, Zoot Sims from 1975. The must-have track on this disc is Dream Dancing, a forgotten Cole Porter masterpiece. This was recorded live, and very simply in a house with a standard trio (piano, bass and drums). It is simple, elegant and romantic on the whole, but the inclusion of Fred and Caravan kind of shatter the mood; however, the other tracks yearn to be included on mix CD's.

No comments: