Monday, May 29, 2006

A Memorial Day Tribute

To commemorate this Memorial Day, I decided to actually do something I have been thinking about for a long time, and that was to contact the the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and to purchase a memorial brick in their Walk of Valor. I hope to visit the museum one day, and find my great-great-great grandfather's brick.

Second Lieutenant John Hawthorne Anderson, who served in the 100th Pennsylvania "Roundheads" Company B, was killed by a glancing bullet from a sniper at the Battle of Petersburg, Virginia on July 9, 1864. He was 41 years old.

I would also like to make a trip to New Castle, Pennsylvania, where, apparently, his name is engraved on the east side of the Civil War Memorial in the town square. I think it would be cool to have a photo of that...

No comments: