Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Terence Malick's New World

I tried to watch a movie today, thinking a change of atmosphere from my bedroom to the living room might be fun. And, from what I knew, this movie was supposed to be cinematically gorgeous.

I could look at pretty scenery for three hours. I am particularly interested in that period of history.
I could do this. I was up for it.

I thought.

I hated this movie. I hated it so much that I can't even talk about it.

In lieu of my own ranting, here are some choice comments from others:

Terence Malick’s The New World is a sloppy, messy film that is dragged down by its own sense of profundity. It’s a film about Pocahontas where that name is never uttered. It’s a film that seeks to undermine every bit of plot advancement with meandering and pointless shots of nothing in particular.

and

It's by no means the longest movie ever made, but it's one of the longest movies ever made in which next to nothing ever happens and barely a word is spoken.

then there is -

This is a movie that at any given moment could end in five seconds or five hours and make as much sense as it's ever going to.

and finally -

There's a problem when the movie about the European conquest of America seems longer than the actual conquest itself.

No comments: