Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The SecretPlan

We woke up today, and I was very excited, because I had a SecretPlan in store for DJ V. The bad part of the plan was that, being a holiday, I did not expect that the downtown Starbuck's was going to be open.

DJ V, ever the optimist, was sure that they would be, so we walked on down to find out. And lo and behold and hallelujah, they were. I was so happy to celebrate my holiday properly.

Anyway, I told DJ V that we were going for a walk. She asked no questions and played along - just what you want from your PartnerInCrime.

And we strolled right into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, something DJ V had been wanting to do, but hadn't found the time. She was completely surprised. She had no idea, and I was truly Smiley McSmirkstein the rest of the day...

The big exhibit was a tribute to Bob Dylan entitled: Bob Dylan's American Journey: 1956 -1966. This big banner made me (yes, it MADE me) come up with a long, long tale about how Dylan may be overrated, but to think he did all of that great songwriting and stuff, and that he wrote with such maturity and wisdom, and given that he died at the tender age of 10 was truly impressive...I think I'm funny. We hastily walked thru that exhibut, and tried to watch the vintage video footage, but only made it through one song. Whining and harmonicas is a deadly combination...

One truly inspired exhibit, though, was a wall full of 45 covers of covers of Blowin' In The Wind. Lots of European covers by strange groups with stranger names, and a cover by Marlene Dietrich. Classic.

Just as before, the best part of the museum was the films. This time I got to see the inductee film in its entirety. I stil think it is the best. Although the tribute to MTV is wonderful, and made both DJ V and me yearn to see the complete Cher video for If I Could Turn Back Time, featuring the USS Missouri, the last battleship completed by the United States, and the site of the official Japanese surrender in World War II.

The "highlight" for us onthis trip was seeing Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now denim vest, complete with tassles, like from a high school graduation cap.

I think the Rock Hall is missing out on a lot of opportunities, like having photographs of the musicians IN the costumes on display, and little iPody things where you can HEAR all of the vinyl that is on display. AND, a CD burning cafe ala Starbucks, where you can sit and make a compilation CD of stuff you discovered while in the museum...just some thoughts.

I also decided that I want to start a line of cars designed specifically for women, The first two models will be called The Vandella and The Shirelle. Genius.

We took advantage of the chance to get some sustanence, and got burgers and drinks and took them OUTSIDE ONTO THE PATIO, overlooking the lake and the skateboard park. It was great.

We strolled on back to DJ V's place, took showers and I played her fancy, exotic wood guitar. Theonly remaining song in my memory at this time is What'd I Say by Brother Ray Charles. I seem to even have forgotten my signature pieces, My Cherie Amour and Batman, the PenPal's favorite request.

Ah, There's no chill and yet I shiver...

So, we went out to dinner at Red Lobster because I REALLY was craving shrimp and a baked potato. And it was there that DJ V looked at me and asked me what I was thinking. And so I told her ThatWhichShallNotBe Said. Then DJ V couldn't finish her meal, nor could she help me finish off the chocolate cake dessert...All in all, this did not happen in the manner I would have planned, but there is something to be said for being in the moment and not planning...talk about a paradigm shift.

We headed back to my house, and had to park several blocks away...and there we were on the sidewalk, and fireworks started going off overhead from the country club. I had never been that close to fireworks before - close enough to see the actual explosion. It was a great show, and just as it ended, it started to sprinkle.

Once safely indoors, I fired up the Cher video, and then treated DJ V to my Patricia Barber DVD, to prepare her for our trip...and the night passed in celebration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.