Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Bev Doolittle – The Limited-Engagement Installation

Today started with sitting at Starbuck's, enjoying my triple grande latte and finishing Jack Kerouac's On The Road. I have to admit to a great deal of embarrassment about never having read it until now, but at least I have rectified the situation. The book was very different from my pre-conceived ideas. It was imminently readable, and even though there is no “plot”, it is very compelling storytelling. It is also a great window into a way of life that is so foreign to me. Granted, the lingo became a bit tiresome, but certainly not to the extent that it was in the hateful Catcher In The Rye {God, I hated that book}.

After that, I went to the mall to spend my holiday gift certificate for Banana Republic. I have crafted a reputation for being able to stretch gift cards for the BR to absurd lengths. Today's prizes proved to be two sweaters, one lambswool and cashmere and the other silk and cashmere. The two sweaters at full price were a tad over $200, but after purchasing them, I still have money left on my $50 gift card. I love bargains like that!

It was now time for lunch, and since I was on a gift card roll, I remembered that my co-worker had given me one for the Winking Lizard, which just happened to be next to the mall. Serendipity! I had a great burger and fries and their specialty draft root beer. Refreshing and outstanding.

Driving home in the late afternoon, I cut through the Metropark by my house and was amazed to notice that the hillsides looked exactly like a Bev Doolittle painting. You know, the ones where if you squint the hillside is really pinto horses, or an eagle in flight, or Indians creeping up on you. I swear if you could have gotten some distance, the brown leaves and tree trunks and earth breaking through the snow would have revealed some hidden treasure. How cool to drive through a painting – talk about an installation – I think Bev Doolittle ought to get right on recreating one of her paintings in a forest somewhere...

No comments: