Tuesday, February 22, 2005

New Music Tuesday – Got That Ol' Timey {Canadian}Feelin'

Every once in awhile I stumble onto something completely by accident and I am rewarded with a drug-like rush, which is probably why I continue to prowl record shops - just a junkie looking for the next high...

Anyway, they say you can't judge a book by its cover, but as I have a passion for graphic design, and my fantasy dream job is being a CD cover designer, I do often buy a CD because I dig the artwork. This was easier back in the LP day...but we have to take what we have to work with.

So I saw this CD...fantastic, groovy cover, and then I saw the group - a bunch of whippersnappers. The lead singer, Jessica Havey, is a gal with lowrider jeans, close cropped blonde hair and one arm completely, vibrantly tattooed. I figured I was not going to enjoy this. But being in a rare adventurous mood, I gave it a listen, and within a minute all I could manage to say was "Good God - these folks are AWESOME" So, that is my review of the Canadian bunch of Celtic/folk/Scots/Irish/Appalachian/New Orleans musicians that call themselves The Duhks. And the singer? Simply magnificent. She definitely rocks. Just go buy this CD.

And in an unplanned buying event, the other CD du jour is also from a Canadian folkie/New Orleans/bluesy combo called Po'Girl. The tunes are rather mellow, and the singing is wonderful and languid, and the whole disc convey a a"you are there" feeling of spontaneity that I find very appealing. So what the heck is going on in Canada these days? Holly Cole, the Cowboy Junkies, kd lang, Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray and now The Duhks and Po'Girl...and in a call-out for Trish, Due South and Paul Gross...Go Canada!

No comments: