Saturday, February 12, 2005

Insidious Creeping Plague

So I woke up at 8 a.m. with a very deep and rumbling mucousy cough. Seemed like bronchitis was the winner. But knowing that is was just because of the poisoned environment, I wasn't too concerned and went to work.

As the day progressed, it became obvious that the poisoning was strictly coincidental- I was actually quite ill all on my own. I was developing a tremendous headache, and was equally hot and shivering, and the muscles in my legs were aching. And I had the most excruciating pain in, of all places, the top of my femurs where they sit in the pelvis. This made standing, sitting, and laying down equally unpleasant. All of this was in addition to my award-winning barking cough.
I lasted until 3 p.m. - a feat of endurance, and drove home. That is about the time the sky-high fever kicked in. I would have gone directly to the hospital had my head not been hurting so bad that it was impossible to drive any longer. I stumbled back to my still fume-filled abode and feel into bed at 4 p.m.

About 10 p.m. I woke up to sip some water (all I could keep down - and knowing that I was already severely dehydrated) and managed to call work to tell them they wouldn't be seeing me tomorrow. I promptly fell back into a fever-induced coma...

No comments: