Monday, February 21, 2005

My Job : A Brief Summation

I work in a very strange environment with very strange people. That is what makes this job such a good fit for me.
To prove my point, I submit the following vignette from this morning...
My workday started at 4 a.m. Just settling into the morning routine, my assistant manager, Jeff, started talking VERY enthusiastically about the book he is reading, a non-fiction treatise on the Black Plague, which happens to be a subject I myself find rather fascinating. He delighted in describing the manner in which the folks constructed catapults to launch the plague-ridden bodies of their neighbors at invading armies, and how dogs helped the disease spread by digging up corpses that were not buried deeply enough.
So, while you are tucked snugly in your beds, dreaming happy dreams, we are hard at work already, imagining disease-carrying corpses being catapulted through the air.
Who needs coffee when you have topics like that this to start your day?

2 comments:

jasoneats said...

soooo...are you saying that if we'd just talk about disease-ridden corpses, you'd give up the caffeine? this, from the woman who asked for a "medic alert" bracelet warning others never to give her decaf.

Layne said...

Perhaps that was a rhetorical question...obviously "I" need coffee, especially special-delivery real Starbuck's triple grande lattes that your friend brings to you when have to be at work before the Starbuck's is awake...THANK YOU