Tuesday, February 01, 2005

New Music Tuesday – It's All About Ray Charles

I took a few days off from work for a mental health break, and began my mini-vacation with a Ray Charles immersion. I went to see the movie Ray, which had been re-released in the theatres.

The Phantom was a huge fan of Brother Ray, and we went to see him in Portland on June 5, 1999. It was quite a show. I am so very glad that I had the chance to hear him perform live, even if he was not at the peak of his talent in his last years...he still could give you shivers.

What Can I Say about the film? The music is just so great – and it is a joy to watch musicians at work, at least it is for me, so I was in heaven. And Jaimie Foxx is incredible. That being said, I didn't care for the film as a movie and I am not sure what exactly it is that I felt was lacking. Even though there were definite obstacles and struggles Ray went though, his life just wasn't good storytelling.

Great music. Great acting. Story needed some artistic license.

Following the film, I promptly went out and bought the soundtrack and the companion soundtrack.

I love them both, all of my fav tunes are represented, even the glorious Chris Thomas King tune with Ray on the piano. Get the CD's and skip the film.

Then, as it was my vacation, I took myself to dinner at Red Lobster, because I was craving fried shrimp. I had it all: cheese rolls, Caesar salad, baked potato, fried shrimp, wine, hot fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream and coffee. It was a ridiculous amount of food, but it was exactly what I wanted. I Hit The Road home, grooving with Ray, completely satisfied. And that is an excellent way to start a vacation.

No comments: