Friday, February 04, 2005

Heather's Last Day

I went to work very early today, because it was Heather's last day to be working with us. One of the coolest perks of my job is that from time to time the managers take selected part-timers out to breakfast. Free food, a relaxing meal (this lasts for at least an hour) and getting to bond with your co-workers out of the office. I thought it would be very nice to arrange for Heather to be taken out this morning, and our store manager thought so too, and met us at the restaurant, even though it was his day off.

We had a very nice time, even though it was difficult for Heather, who was close to tears on several occasions as the reality of leaving us drew closer.

And I guess I must admit to kinda hating situations that you try very hard to be festive for when you are really sad for the passing of a wonderful little moment in time. Mornings will never be the same for me without Heather.

Good luck to you, my favorite misanthropic friend. I am very proud of you and very happy for you – and like I said, no matter how crappy your day may be, you will always have the knowledge that at 5 in the morning you were sound asleep and you were not lifting 12 forty pound boxes of bananas. That has to make anything your work day can throw at you more palatable.

No comments: