Saturday, June 25, 2005

16 Hours With Kadobi

My friend Kadobi (who has not made an appearance here since October 22!) and I got to work at 3 am and made spur-of-the-moment plans to hang out together for the afternoon.

This was brought on by two outside forces - 1.) it was going to be miserable and air-conditioning sounded great and 2.) Organized Living, a ridiculously over-priced container store was finally throwing in the towel and calling it a day. They were selling off their inventory, and it seemed like a good time to invest in a CD shelving system which would finally free up my bookshelves for books. I got the last three of their double maple CD units (each holds about 660 CDs) and discovered that they wouldn't fit into my car.

The Great Kadobi has recently upgraded his ride, and said he would not only take the 3 units to my house, he would carry them in for me (and they were heavy let me tell you).

I thought this deserved a reward so I took the fine young man out for a burritos at Baja fresh followed by an ice cream treat at Friendly's, served by a very, very attractive waitress named Toni. Kadobi realized that this was the first time in about five years that he had ice cream that didn't come out of a cardboard container. Poor Kadobi.

So we were about 5 minutes late for the movie, but that was alright because although I am pro-previews I am most anti-commercials. Well, there was a line at the ticket window, and we finally got in, now about 10 minutes late and my anxiety was on the rise.

We got to the theatre, and lo and behold, they were still showing advertisement slides. When the show was going on 20 minutes late, Kadobi had had enough and went to see the management. He returned to a smattering of applause, and the show started. Ah, my hero, Kadobi. Neither of us had ever been to a movie that actually started late, and this one was about 30 minutes behind.

THEN, they had to play several minutes of ads which were completely aggravating. THEN the previews, which I was predisposed to no longer enjoy (though War of the Worlds looks darn good), and THEN Batman Begins began.

This review captures my feelings pretty well. I thought the film was great, and so did Kadobi, though we were the only ones to applaud at the credits. There was just enough action for him, and just enough plot and development to keep me entertained (not to mention awake, as we had been up since 1:30 in the morning) .

We got coffee for the road and Kadobi took me home, at almost 8 pm. Sad for him, he had to be back at work again at 3 am.

You heard it from me - he's a great date, girls.

2 comments:

jasoneats said...

yes, but the question remains: can the boy DANCE?

Layne said...

Well, it wasn't THAT kind of date.
But rumors have it he is no stranger to the dancefloor.