Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Man Walks Into A Room

I picked up this book for two reasons: some of the plot resonated with me, and I liked the cover.

Yes, I believe you CAN judge a book by its cover, and I had even started a 'zine (Judged By Its Cover) back in the day, when I reviewed books based solely on the cover art...but I digress.

Nicole Krauss (Stanford graduate) is a tremendous writer, and this small novel is a treatise on memory, solitude and intimacy and personal history. Itbegins with a Columbia University professor, found walking in the Arizona desert, with no memory of how he got there. Turns out he has a brain tumor, and its removal means that he can live, but with no memories past the age of 12 or so. He then has no idea who his wife is, and must deal with the loss of his mother, again. This memory loss makes him feel freed, rather sad. He ends up back in the desert, and crosses paths with two men who change his new life...

An interesting and compelling work, with thoughts on crafting a life, and what the past really means.

No comments: