Tuesday, June 28, 2005

New Music Tuesday - Back in Time

After my long association with the magnificent, extraordinary Duffy Bishop, I thought it was about time that I pick up a Janis Joplin CD. (For those not in the know, Duffy starred as janis for over a year in a play in Seattle, and toured Japan in 1997 with Big Brother and the Holding Company.)

I chose Cheap Thrills by Big Brother and the Holding Company, because an old video of Duffy blasting the roof off of a joint singing the final notes of Ball and Chain, the microphone held down at her bosom, has got to be one of my favorite musical moments of all time. So I wanted to hear Janis give it a whirl.

Actually my favorite track on this CD turned out to be Turtle Blues, then Ball and Chain, Piece of My Heart and Sam Andrews great opener, Combination of the Two.

I am really glad I picked this up.

No comments: