Tuesday, December 13, 2005

New Music Tuesday - Samite

Today's CD comes to us from the mythic stacks of Hollywood Stafford. He had loaned me several CDs about a million years ago, and I never found the opportunity to sit down and to give them the time they deserved until tonight. My favorite by far was Tunula Eno by a Ugandan artist named Samite Mulondo.

The CD is gorgeous music, performed mainly on his collection of thumb pianos (kalimbas), flutes and other percussion instruments. His soothing, clear tenor floats over the rhythms like a warm breeze.

"An instrument already has a spirit and it comes with its own song. The rhythms were natural and they were in my blood, but I ended up with my own style. I am convinced that we are all moved by the same desires, needs and emotions, regardless of the language in which those feelings are expressed"

Despite the peacefulness and tranquility of his work, Samite has not had an easy life- he lost a brother during the regime of Idi Amin, endured a prolonged exile from his homeland, and is now a young widower.

Joseph Shabalala of Ladysmith Black Mambazo says that "When you hear the music of Samite, the soul of Africa is revealed to you."

That's good enough for me.

I also want to quote his wish for the holiday season:

As we come to the end of this year, it is important to remember to love and to accept love from others.

No comments: