Monday, September 04, 2006

New Wheels

I celebrated my Labor Day today, laboring at my job, but since it was a holiday, I left early.

My secret plan was to take advantage of any Labor Day car sales that might be going on.

We had spotted a 1995 Jaguar that was absolutely lovely near my house, but I really didn't want another high-mileage vehicle. I would be thrilled with anything that had less than 75,000 miles at this point...

So, to make my purchase I went to a very small dealership, the only Chrysler dealership owned by a woman, which pleased me very much. I parked the SexyCorolla real far away, and strolled about the lot, checking out the JEEPs, and my favorite - the Volvo black sedan with tan leather interior. A lovely vehicle to be sure, but not one to be gracing my garage for awhile.

After I had made my decision, I had to find a salesperson. This was definitely not a high-pressured sales environment. The salesman I was eventually assigned to was quite busy, as he was selling two vehicles to one person, so he told me to just pick out a car and take it for a drive for awhile...ok.

As we began to settle up the deal, it was apparent that the transaction would not be completed by closing time, and it was a holiday and all...so they sent me home in my new car, without collecting any sort of payment from me whatsoever. Just for a minute, I thought driving to Maine would be super fun. I arrived home a bit before DJ V, and hid the new acquisition in the garage as a surprise.

We went out for a late dinner at a local Italian place - one that was still open. The manicotti was quite tasty. Crappy ambiance there, but we enjoyed the theatrical presentation of our two small dinner plates, wheeled out to our table on a cart.

I guess it is just all about the mode of transportation today...

No comments: