Tuesday, January 04, 2005

In Memory of My Mom

May 10, 1943 - January 4, 2002

Today marks the third anniversary of my mother's death. It seems like it has just been one year...how could three years have passed already?

Some things never change, and I still think of her fondly, as I did when she was here. Trish still kindly tells stories about her which reminds me that she remembers her, too.

I am still torn in the dichotomy of longing for things to be the way they should have been, and accepting things for what they were. And my mom, while not by any means perfect, was who she was - and that was quite a character. When I was young, my mom was really more of a pal, and at that time, I thought I had it made. I remember going on bike rides with her, I remember listening to her sing in her clear voice reminiscent of Karen Carpenter's, and more than anything, I remember laughing with her. She was a nut, and loved to make jokes and tease. I am sure that she was the life of any party she was at.

She was in very poor health for many years, with various problems. If the spirit survives, I am sure that she is grateful to leave behind her physical suffering.

I hope that she continues to bring joy to whomever she is with, wherever she is now, and that she is happy at last.

No comments: