Thursday, January 20, 2005

Only In Ohio {a.k.a The Kindness of Strangers}

I was carrying my laundry downstairs in my apartment building at the exact moment a uniformed gas or electric meter reader came to the front door of said building. The management has recently installed locks so no one can get in without a key, and we do not have an intercom system. This makes getting pizzas a tricky proposition at best. But all in the name of security...

Anyway, I let the uniformed guy in to read the meters, which I correctly assumed were in the laundry room. He went about his business, and I to mine. After starting the load to dry, I realized much to my chagrin that I had left my quarters for the wash load on my dresser upstairs.

And the man said, "How much do you need?"

I needed 75 cents. And he nonchalantly pulled a handful of change from his pocket and plucked out three quarters and put them in the machine, then continued reading the meters...

No comments: