Tuesday, January 25, 2005

New Music Tuesday – Sisters and Brothers

Awhile back I wrote about Maria Muldaur, and ended it by saying she would be the distaff representative when I was in the mood for Eric Bibb, etc.

Well, what should I find today but the CD, Sisters and Brothers, a marvelous CD by Eric Bibb, Maria Muldaur and Rory Block from our fine friends at Telarc.

As with most compliations, I enter in with hopes of finding a track or two to love. This disc had only three tracks I fast-forwarded through on the first listen...which is an outstanding average. Many of the songs just thrilled me...in no particular order, Block's great cover of Bill Wither's "Lean On Me", Maria's "Bessie's Advice", the female duet on"Travellin' Woman's Blues" and Bibb's cover of Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody", and the rousing gospel of "Don't Ever Let Nobody Drag Your Spirit Down ".

I am a sucker for unique productions, so I must point out that this CD was recorded in an antique timber-frame barn that was converted into a performing arts space in a Unity, Maine. Inside the barn is a sign that quotes the Old Testament Book of Psalms:

“Behold, how good and pleasant for brothers and sisters to dwell together in unity.”

Yes, backstory makes this CD even better.

What an excellent afternoon I had driving along with this CD playing. Outstanding.

No comments: