Thursday, April 14, 2005

A Day Without A Plan

H__ and I had the most minimalist of plans of today, and sometimes the form of an afternoon just stays ambiguous, no matter how hard you try to impose structure onto it.

We wandered down to Coventry Road, intending to pick up a display stand for my glass marble (to no avail). Then we decided to stop in at The Winking Lizard for a quick meal. The food and the draft root beer were fine, but the volume of the music was very disruptive to conversation, and we both were getting cranky and eager to be on our way.

Back at H__'s house, we watched the aforementioned Rivers and Tides, as H__ is also a big fan of Andy Goldsworthy. She truly loved the film, as I thought she would. The highlight for me was that while the film was on, H__ was making a bracelet for her sister. It is an art that mystifies me. It is incredible to watch a big pile of tiny things become one thing with its own inherent order and logic. Many similarities then between Goldworthy's Zen practive and H__'s art; however, I am happy to report there was no fatal collapse after hours of delicate work as so often happens to Goldsworthy.

No comments: