Tuesday, April 26, 2005

New Music Tuesday – Cheryl Bentyne : Let Me Off Uptown

I scored a promo copy of Cheryl Bentyne's new CD this afternoon, and from the first few seconds of the first track, I knew I was going to love this one. And I do.

A tribute album to Anita O'Day ( which puts me in mind of Cheryl's bandmate, Alan Paul's tribute to the great singer), this CD is chock full of great, accessible tracks. As C. Michael Bailey said,

There is a population which craves musical excellence but may not crave the experimental edge. Cheryl Bentyne’s new recording is perfect for the latter group.

I must admit to not being nearly as familiar with O'Day's body of work as I am with, say, the previously reviewed Miss Peggy Lee. But spending time with this disc has made me curious...so perhaps we will see her pop up here again in the next month or so.

My must-listen tracks are the last, Waiter, Make Mine Blues and It Shouldn't Happen To A Dream.

No comments: