Thursday, April 28, 2005

Untimely Movie Review: The Astronaut's Wife

When I got home from work (Thursday currently being my Friday night), I was really too tired to do much at all, so I watched this film which I have no recollection of ever being released.

The Astronauts Wife stars Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron, a happily married couple whose world is going to be destroyed. The plot is a basically a riff of Rosemary's Baby meets the Abyss, in outer space. Now I know why I don't recall any publicity when this came out in 1999...

For some reason, throughout the film, I was always shocked to see Johnny Depp...I kept expecting him to be Keanu Reeves because this film seemed like a lesser version of the Devil's Advocate...so many similarities, but with weaker characterization. To wit, happily married couple, one of whom is Charlize Theron, leave their little world and go to Manhattan (to a ridiculously stylish and ultra-expensive apartment) where Charlize thinks she is going crazy and the man is somehow...changed.

Charlize's hair (mimicking Mia Farrow's Rosemary's Baby style) was great. And the final confrontation was done exceptionally well and was actually surprising...it just took a long time to get there.

No comments: