Tuesday, April 05, 2005

New Music Tuesday – Pink Guitar

I swear this is a very bizarre coincidence.

I got an email the other day from my friend informing me that this year's Grammy award for Best Pop Instrumental Album was Henry Mancini: Pink Guitar, which he happens to be featured on. So now he is a multi-Grammy winner! Congratulations!

I swear I knew nothing about this album when I made my previous NMT post last month entitled Pink Piano...wow.

Anyway, here is my review of the CD...

The opening track, the Pink Panther theme by Laurence Juber is absolutely mindblowing. Virtuosity at its finest. The next great track is the theme to Peter Gunn by Pat Donohue.
My third favorite track is the lovely and touching Dear Heart by Wayne Johnson. Read his liner notes regarding why he chose that tune..

And by the way, Wayne's solo disc, One Guitar (2003) was listed as the #2 out of the Top 20 Acoustic Solo Guitar recordings to own by Jazziz Magazine! Samples are on on his site - check it out!

Rounding out the disc is the very surprising theme to the TV show What's Happening, which gets an incredible makeover by Mike Dowling.

This was a great discovery. If you are into guitar heroes, you have to check this one out.

No comments: