Saturday, April 23, 2005

It's a Date: A Movie, Dinner and the Theater

I had an excellent day today. The day started out at Bruegger's Bagels for a nice bagel with egg and cheese and a hazelnut coffee, then a stop at the Weathervane Playhouse to purchase tickets for The Tale of the Allergist's Wife. While I was there, I noticed that there was an Indian restaurant across the street from the theatre. I was so excited to discover this -who knew an Indian restaurant was in my neighborhood? But, it was still early in the day...

Next up on today's schedule was a matinee of Sin City. I was very reluctant to see this film, as I have little tolerance for the level of violence I expected to see. But I was very intrigued by the look of the film, and intrigue always wins.

Well, it certainly is an amazing piece of art. Really mind-blowing. I can't speak to whether it is true to the novels, having never read them, but I have a feeling it is. It is a gorgeous film depicting a brutal and ugly world. I didn't really care for the theme or the plot,and I was glad when the film was over, but I am very glad I experienced it. It is truly amazing.

Following the film, there was time to stop in at home to shower and change, before arriving at the Saffron Patch. I was a bit worried as I quickly perused the menu and did see any vindaloo offered. I don't know what came over me, but I asked the waitress if they served vindaloo and she said that they certainly did, they just didn't have room on the menu. I found that odd.

Anyway, the vindaloo came, and I must say it gets a B+. It was more like the vindalooo I was searching for than the offering from Cafe Tandoor, however, the naan at the Saffron Patch cannot hold a candle to the naan at Cafe Tandoor, but that fact did stop me from placing four orders for the stuff, so I look at that as a positive.

Now it was time to go to the theatre to see Charles Busch' s Tale of the Allergist's Wife. I had to go because last night, while reading the paper, I saw a picture of the production, and my friend is one of the leads! Allow me to quote from the program:

Margo Parker (Lee) Margo won a Chanticleer for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Weathervane's The Dining Room in 1985, during a decade in which she was very active at Weathervane in plays including Daughters, Brighton Beach Memoirs, What I Did Last Summer and Dracula. She has more recently been seen in the Coach House productions of Without Apologies and The Cocktail Hour.

I would like to add that she is also an accomplished film actress, starring in a little three minute film my partner, John, and I made for the Project Greenlight contest for HBO.

It was great to see her on stage again, and the show was pretty entertaining. Margo extended an invitation to go out for drinks with the cast after the show, and it was great. It's always a good time to sit around and to listen to actors re-hash what went wrong in the show, and other production gossip.

No comments: