Saturday, May 21, 2005

Buddha and Bullock

To focus my day, I thought that cleaning the house after visiting Starbuck's would be a good plan. After a hour or two, I had compiled a tidy list of cleaning supplies I needed, which meant I had to run around town for awhile, which meant that I screwed off most of the day with shopping.

But, judging from yesterday's event, I must have been a spiritual place, because I found a wonderful Buddha head sculpture which has a place of honor in my newly cleaned and tidy home. Now I have to see about getting my altar table back from BC...

For my evening entertainment, I went to see Crash for two reasons. One, it was getting very good reviews and two, somehow Sandra Bullock slipped in a movie and I knew nothing about it.

Crash is absolutely wonderful. It is powerful and magical, and sadly real. It is the story about race relations and the inherent distrust of the Other every single group in the world has for another group. It is intelligent, realistic, painful and true.

And surprise of all surprises, Sandra gives an amazing performance. She really can act. I am formally retracting my earlier statement in the Miss Congeniality 2 review about if I wanted to see acting I'd go to a Julianne Moore film. If you want to see acting, go see Crash. Everyone involved has given a passionate, moving performance.

No comments: