Tuesday, May 10, 2005

New Music Tuesday : Camiel

A great discovery. I can list on one hand the CD's that I am able to listen to from beginning to end without itching to hit the "forward" button (and maybe I will post that soon). Today's CD joins the list.

Sunset, by Dutch guitarist Camiel will be my soundtrack of choice for the summer, or for a great beginning to a evening at home entertaining.

It is hard to pin down exactly what this sounds like. My favorite track is El Alba, which is beautiful with his excellent acoustic guitar playing and lovely piano accents. Second is Sigueme, with a smoky female vocal in a foreign tongue.

Two "spoken word" pieces, layed on top of a great soundtrack, are evocative and haunting: Follow Me and I Would.

The CD is, in the very broadest sense of the word, smooth jazz, without the hideous soprano sax that that term conjures up for me. But is deeply rooted in disco, groove, R&B, soul and Latin rhythms for good measure.

To finish off this great recording, Camiel had the good sense to record this live with real instruments and an orchestra...no dubbed in samples. There is a nice, open aural space created from the live recording.

Can you tell I dig this?

No comments: