Monday, May 23, 2005

If I Were A Rich Man

Well, if I were rich, I would have blown a ton of money at this auction.

Getting the urge to unburden yourself, to clean your closets and lighten your load is great. When you are Barbra Streisand, it is another animal all together.

So Mrs. Brolin was divesting herself of a lot of personal clothes, wigs, jewelry, a vehicle, stage props from her concerts, set models from movies she directed...and costumes from those movies.

There were many nice things to be had, and many items went for reasonable amounts. But in my opinion, there were a few "must haves", and one item in particular that if I were independently wealthy, I would have bought in a heartbeat, to give to my dear friend, my Penpal.

And that would be Judy Maxwell's cap from "What's Up, Doc?". As these things happen, it was one of the most expensive items of the auction, going for $9,600.

It would have been worth it.

One of the most recognizable items was the white sailor top Barbra wore on her guest appearance on the 1963 Judy Garland show. It sold for $28,800. Also of interest, was the blue sailor dress worn in the concert segment of the 1965 television special My Name Is Barbra (which features the amazing "I'm Five"), which brought in $14,400 to Streisand's coffers. And if you thought you could get a bargain on the SUPERMAN T-shirt from the Streisand Superman album, that little piece of cotton would have cost you $6,000.

I have the catalogue from Streisand's 1999 Christie's auction, when she unloaded her collection of Tiffany works and art nouveau furniture...so I am hoping to add this catalogue to my collection as well.

No comments: