Sunday, May 22, 2005

Thoughts On Sports

There are only two times that I ever touch the sports page of a newspaper: during the summer Olympics to read about the US Swim Team, and during horse racing season.

The front page of the NY Times section this morning showed Afleet Alex winning the Preakness, after crossing paths with Scrappy T and almost stumbling. Jockey Jeremy Rose grabbed Alex's mane and pulled him up, not only keeping him from falling, but managing to come ahead and win the race.

(In other related horse racing news, the Kentucky Derby wining Giacomo was named after Sting's son, and is owned by Jerry Moss, co-founder of A&M Records, with Herb Alpert of Tijuana Brass fame)

So, I got to thinking about what these things have in common, and I guess that I am not found of sports that last a long time - both horse races and swimming races are over relatively quickly.

As a child, my weekends revolved around getting home from whatever we were doing in time for my mother and her husband to be able to settle in for marathon sessions of watching football or golf and yelling at the tv. And sorry if this offends anyone, but there is nothing stupider than spending an entire afternoon sitting on your ass watching golf. Really. The old adage about watching paint dry is true here...I mean, fine, go play golf if you must (which I personally find equally boring and hot and lacking purpose)...but to WATCH it? Oy.

And both sports are really based on individual skill and talent - I guess I am not a big fan of the "team".

No comments: