Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Remembrance

When I was a child, the month of May was heavenly.

The most important people in my world were my grandmother, my uncle and my mother.

My birthday began a week long celebration of us, and it seemed to me that the four of us were bonded together in a very special way. After my day, a day on which I was completely indulged to do anything I wished, my uncle's birthday was 6 days later on the 9th, and then my mom's birthday, a week after mine on May 10.

Rounding out the celebration, my mom's birthday usually fell on Mother's Day, which was the perfect excuse to include my grandmother in the partying as well.

Perhaps that is why that even now, in my 40's, a sneaking sense of glee overtakes me for a bit when my birthday draws near.

I would love to go back in time to my grandmother's house on Lang Drive in Pennsylvania and watch the celebration in the dining room...

Happy Birthday, Mom.

No comments: