Tuesday, May 24, 2005

New Music Tuesday - Brazil Rules

It's getting to be that time of year, and I wanted something great and fun.

So today's acquisitions are: Rosa Passos' Amorosa and the big excitement of FINALLY replacing my vinyl with a shiny CD of David Byrne's Beleize Tropical: Brazil Classics 1, one of my all-time favorite recordings.

To re-visit Brazil Classics 1, well, I still love the opening track Ponta de Lanca Africano, by Jorge Ben, which is so good that it is easily worth the price of the CD. Other classics are Caetano Veloso's Ile Aye and San Vicente by Milton Nascimento. I am so very ecstatic to have these songs back in my repertoire!

Ms. Passo plays a fine guitar, and is a pleasant vocalist. The CD is a lovely mix of acoustic bossa nova. The stunning opening track, Voce Vai Ver, is again, so good that I would have gladly payed the price of the CD just to have that track.

The summer is off to an auspicious start.

No comments: