Tuesday, August 16, 2005

New Music Tuesday - Rockabilly and Blues

I love Margo Timmins. I got to see her in a very intimate setting (Music Millennium in Portland) awhile ago, and not only does she have a wonderful voice, she is one of the coolest people around.

So I rushed out to get the Cowboy Junkies new one, Early 20th Century Blues, and it has immediately won a place in my heart. It, for the most part, is very simple with little production. It makes one think of the masterpiece, the Trinity Sessions. My favorite track, at first listen, is This World Dreams Of which is a little Angelo Badalamenti meets Holly Cole during the Trinity Sessions. A very good release.

The second CD today is the new one from Mr. Brian Setzer, whom I adore. This one, Rockabilly Riot, Vol. 1: A Tribute to Sun Records , is done very simply, with just Brian on guitar, and a trio of piano, drums and bass. The best track I think, is Johnny Cashs' Get Rhythm. Being a stickler for production details, I was thrilled to see that Setzer used recording techniques from the 50s: vintage microphones, and even a rusty old water cistern for reverb. A few of these songs are familiar, but most are rare, and some have never been recorded before, so it makes for an interesting listen.

I love Brian's voice, his playing and his sense of fun. I wasn't disappointed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the longest time the Cowboy Junkies were the soundtrack of my life. I saw them I think about seven or eight years ago in a small concert in Buffalo. Margo has a voice that can be as soft as silk, but is also so strong that it seems to slap the listener. That's what I loved about her, the careless flick of her voice that seemed to say, "I don't care what you think, I'm doing this my way." Beautiful.

Layne said...

Sara, my darling, you are a poet and have exceptional taste. Is it any wonder I adore you?

Julie Taymor AND Margo Timmins...you take my breath away sometimes...