Tuesday, August 30, 2005

New Music Tuesday - SOS Live

I was waiting with heightened anticipation for this release. I was practically giddy, which is not an emotion that I wear well, FYI.

So, the brand spankin' new Swing Out Sister Live arrived. The cover art - excellent. The track list - excellent.

Now, here is the strange part...my initial impression is that the CD is just...ok.

Having just recently heard Corinne live, I have been listening to her daily on my tedious commute. And I am quite taken with the stupidly expense Live at the Jazz Cafe. So. What we have here are four very different animals. The live Jazz Cafe CD is very rock/club oriented, with horns. When I saw her, it was pretty much the same arrangements, sans horns. Then there are the regular recordings, which are very produced, but quite good. And this new one, well, the arrangements are very mellow indeed. Jazzy, certainly. But I am not sure if I want to hear a mellow version of Breakout, y'know? However, the gorgeous Forever Blue, the only disappointment from the concert I saw as she did not perform it, almost makes up for the price of the disc. Almost.

PS - on their official site, they have posted some pictures from their tour - and it includes the tragic poppy dress. Judge for yourself.

No comments: