Monday, August 22, 2005

One For The Bobster

I picked a great little gem of a film called The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. It is a send-up of the great science-fiction monster movies of the 50's.

The film follows Dr. Paul Armstrong, who just wants to do science, and his girlfriend, Betty, as they track a fallen meteor out in the wilderness. They are searching for the elusive "atmospherium"... and along the way meet an Evil Scientist who also needs atmospherium to awaken the lost skeleton, and two aliens and their pet mutant.

The dialogue is absolutely perfect. Director and star Larry Blamire has parodied the genre perfectly. (Example: "Betty, you know what this meteor could mean for science? It could mean actual advances in the field of science!")

Viewers are treated to a real-live sex-kitten, Animalia, a dancing black-velvet cat-suited vixen created from four forest creatures by the evil Dr. Fleming.

But the star of the film is the Lost Skeleton. The Skeleton is imperious, snitty, insulting, rude and hilarious (and might I suggest, simply a bitchy queen).

Then there is the mutant....oooh, scary.

The film is shot in glorious black and white with the "new miracle of skeletoscope" in California's Bronson Canyon, and everything you see looks strangely familiar, if you have watched too many episodes of MST3K (as I have).

I liked this movie even more the second time I watched it. The first time I think I was expecting more obvious humor, but I really appreciated the love and care that went into the making of the film. And, I know I'm being redundant, the dialogue just got so funny the second time around...

I gotta go do some science now...

No comments: